Job Opening: Investment Director
Investment Director Overview:
The Investment Director reports to the Investment Company’s President and Chief Investment Officer and has a leadership role within the organization. This is the most senior job title for investment professionals overseeing asset classes within the Investment Company. This role is primarily focused on UCLA’s investment efforts in its Venture Capital portfolio, but as a senior investment professional the Director is expected to contribute to overall portfolio and manager discussions in a collaborative working style. The Investment Director will be deeply involved in evaluating and managing investments from early-stage venture through crossover funds and will work closely with other Directors across the portfolio. Responsibilities will stretch across multiple aspects of managing The UCLA Foundation’s endowment.
The Investment Director will have primary accountability for investment management activities in UCLA’s Venture Capital portfolio from developing an investment strategy to sourcing investment opportunities, conducting due diligence, monitoring performance, and managing relationships with external managers. The Director will contribute to investment policy and asset allocation discussions, as well as the review and preparation of materials for board and other stakeholder engagement. Investment Directors are expected to participate in discussions across the portfolio and are encouraged to contribute across asset classes. Thus, Investment Directors should have a deep knowledge of private investments as well as traditional equity products, hedge funds, and other alternative investment strategies.
- Manage all aspects of UCLA’s Venture Capital program from strategy to execution and relationship management. The Director should possess a strong network of relationships with both General Partners and Limited Partners within Venture Capital
- Assist in the management of the UCLA Foundation’s $3.8 billion endowed investment portfolio and work with other team members on strategic asset allocation
- Maintain relationships with existing investment managers including a quantitative and qualitative assessment of portfolios, strategy, businesses, and market opportunities
- Identify prospective investment opportunities and lead due diligence for new investments including investment memorandum, legal review, and negotiation of terms
- Comprehensive updates to the CIO and investment team of relevant factors affecting current and prospective investments
- Contribute to developing asset allocation strategy and collaborate on investment opportunities where needed
- Assist with forecasting cash flows to support subscriptions, redemptions, payout, and asset allocation including rebalancing decisions
- Conduct periodic research projects to support and evaluate asset allocation, manager selection, and growing or changing sectors that offer the opportunity for long-term capital appreciation
- Contribute to the preparation of quarterly, annual, and ad hoc analysis and presentations for investments administered by the UCLA Foundation
- Mentor and develop the skill sets of investment analysts and other Investment Company employees
- Extensive travel to meet with current and potential investment managers, attend industry conferences, and develop relationships across the investment landscape
Experience and Qualifications:
BS or BA in business, finance, economics, mathematics, statistics, or a related field
- MBA and/or completion of the CFA curriculum strongly recommended
- Strong professional network within the venture capital community
- Knowledge of accounting, financial statements, and business process improvement
- Strong analytical skills and proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, and Bloomberg
- Fundamental understanding of financial markets, products, and services and experience analyzing investments – particularly venture capital and other private investments
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills with the ability to explain complex financial and technical information in an understandable manner to individuals and groups
- High integrity, strong work ethic, team orientation, and genuine intellectual curiosity a must
- More than 10 years of professional experience, including asset allocation and manager selection in a multi-asset class portfolio
UCLA Investment Company is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
Type: Full time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Eligible candidates should submit their resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com with a subject line as follows: UCLA Investment Director: last name, first name. Please include within your cover letter a description of your investment philosophy and how your experiences have shaped it. Candidates whose qualifications fit the criteria for the job will be contacted.